Tajikistan is a small mountainous country north of Afghanistan, west of China, and south of Kyrgyzstan with a population of 9 million people. Known for its beautiful mountains and humble, friendly hospitality, Tajikistan is the poorest of all former Soviet republics.
The towering Pamir mountain range fills the eastern half of the country, and includes the worlds highest mountains outside of the Himalayas. This region makes up over 50% of the country’s land mass but contains less than 5% of the country’s population.
There are several local and international NGOs working in the mountainous Pamiri areas trying to address the cycle of poverty. As Tajikistan is 97% Muslim, and many have still not heard the Gospel in their own language, there are very few Christ-followers in this region and no groups of local believers meeting together that we know of.
How to Pray
- Praise God for this beautiful country and the people here that He has made in His image.
- Pray for God to encourage the few isolated local believers who are here to continue to walk faithfully with Him.
- Pray for God to give courage to people who have heard of Him and believe His message but are afraid to commit to following Him.
- Pray that believers working in this area would be led by God’s Spirit and would have wisdom in how to reach out to friends, neighbors and coworkers here.
- Pray for God to reveal Himself to people here through dreams and miracles.